Hello to my darling friends.
I have been on vacation in Salt Lake City, so I abandoned my blog posts. Ha Ha. Get it? Well, I'm back now, and have a renewed fervor for blogging and for the passion in my heart for helping orphans and women off the streets.
While in SLC, we noticed a very large population of homeless people. There was so much sadness in the air. A sadness which reached into my heart.
Sadness because pity on homeless people in the United States does not come naturally to me. Regardless of the pain I've seen while I've worked with them. Regardless of the how I've served them or the countless heartbreaking stories of what they have been through.
When you pass a homeless person, in the United States, what's the first thing you think? Do you think, "scam artist", "loser", or do you think, "you're in the USA, you've got plenty of chances", or, "there are homes & shelters to take care of them, I don't need to help".
Homelessness can be a delicate subject, depending on who you talk to. I'm guilty of jumping to judgement. All of those questions, I have made myself. How can it be then, that the one thing I want to do most in this world is empower women, and children, who most likely have no place to call home. How can I love one and despise the other? The contradictory thinking is an embarrassing quandary.
Who am I to judge? Who am I to say who is worthy of love or compassion? Why am I the first to jump to judgement? Those questions leave me feeling inadequate and undeserving of the love and compassion Christ shows. I suppose this is exactly why the mercy of Christ is as important as the love of Christ. When we fail he is there showing mercy to us. Which teaches us all the more to have mercy and show love to those around us.
The strength he gives, enables me to continue to grow and love others. Obviously, I have a lot more to learn about what true love means. I look forward to growing in ways I've never known. To learn a heart of compassion that I've never experienced.
Anyone have thoughts to share? Leave a comment below and share some stories with me.
Love you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Get involved in the discussion. Let me know what you think. Ask questions.