Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Skin Care 101

Every great artist understands the importance of a great canvas. So imagine your skin as your canvas. The perfect skin care routine will vary based on your skin type and what results you are interested in. Each of us dream of having soft, supple skin that has a healthy glow; where our makeup doesn't settle, but blends quickly and evenly. No matter who you are, or what your skin looks like, there is a daily routine that is made for you. 

If you have dry skin, your canvas might be rough and porous. This will cause foundation (liquid or powder) to soak and settle into the skin. Makeup application is sometimes uneven and sometimes will cake on your skin. It is important, when you have dry skin, to get a skincare regime that allows time for your skin to soak up the moisture and exfoliate away dead skin cells. 

If your skin is oily, your canvas might not allow foundation to adhere to the skin or stay in place all day. It is very important, when working with oily skin, to use a skincare regime that is made for oily skin. 

No matter who you are, I highly recommend adding a face scrub to your daily routine. Beware of products that contain large granular particles which can cause micro tears in your skin. Look for products designed for daily use. My personal favorite is the Dermalogica Skin Prep Scrub. I use it every day. Another great product I've used in the past is the Mary Kay Microdermabrasion kit.  

Finding the right mix of products was a real challenge for me. If you are facing perpetual skin issues, take heart. Don't give up! Finding what's right for you will be worth the effort. When trying a product for the first time - ask for samples! Your skin might react really well to a product on first use, but after a day or two you might notice that it is too dry for your skin, or too oily. You'll want to test each product to see how your skin reacts before you commit. Not to mention, the cost. It's very expensive to buy several products that you'll only use a few times then discard to the product graveyard under your sink. The only beauty store that wouldn't give me samples was ULTA. All of us who know ULTA, love it, but this was a serious hangup for me when finding my perfect fit. 

I have very dry skin in the winter and fairly normal skin in the summer. Here is a complete list of products I use every day:

Dermalogica Skin Prep Scrub 











Dermalogica AGE Smart Resurfacing Cleanser 

Dermalogica AGE Smart Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque 

Dermalogica Multi-Active Toner 

Dermalogica Active Moist 

And finally, Dermalogica AGE Smart Multivitamin Power Firm for eyes 

I wasn't always married to one product line. I was just never happy with the results of my skin until I found Dermalogica. I've never looked back. I've used their line for over a year now and I could not be more happy. I highly recommend their line. You can buy it at ULTA or Beauty Brands. Otherwise, select one of the links I've added to order online or contact their representatives directly. 

If you have oily skin, your skin still needs moisture. Be sure to find a product which allows moisture into your skin without adding any extra oil. Try the Murad Oil-Control Mattifier as part of your primer routine. This product reduces the amount of oil and allows your makeup to stay put for hours. To all my dry-skin girls, this is still a great product to use if you want your makeup to stay in place all night long. Just do not use it every day.

The most important thing for every one of us is hydration! hydration! hydration! Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. If you don't like the taste of water - get over it - or add some sliced fruits. Lemon is one of the best fruits for your body's daily liver functions so that's my first choice for all of us. 
©  | Dreamstime Stock Photos

On any given day I drink as much as 125oz of water. If you don't know what 100oz looks like, just pick up a Starbucks Iced Venti cup. Each of those holds 24-25oz of water. I fill mine up 4-5 times a day and I'm good. 

What should you buy? Well, everyone should have these basics in their stash.
  1. Scrub  
  2. Face wash 
  3. Masque
  4. Toner
  5. Moisturizer 
  6. Eye cream
Supplement these with serums and treatments. 

As part of an ongoing desire to educate about proper skincare and makeup, I'll be writing more about primers and foundation next week. Stay tuned and be sure to leave your comments below. 

1 comment:

  1. These are great tips! Thank you for the recommendations! I know that diet plays a huge role in skin care. I've contemplated giving up dairy because I know that it makes my skin act up but I cannot pull the trigger!

    ReplyDelete

Get involved in the discussion. Let me know what you think. Ask questions.