Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Professionals to the rescue!

Following up with my previous post... about the horrors of drugstore products, I want to share the good news with you now. 

Professional products.

As a general rule of thumb, professional products will have a moisture line, a curly hair line, a thickening line, a blonde line and a color protect line. There are specialty lines as well which can range from strengthening products to luxurious ingredient lines. Check with your stylist to find out what specialty lines they carry. 

Moisture lines are designed for people who struggle with static, dry and/or brittle hair. Honestly, before I went to school, I didn't understand the importance of balancing moisture and strength in the hair strands. I assumed that when hair was dry, it was weak and needed more strength. The truth is, adding protein and Keratin to naturally dry hair will dry it out more and you'll end up with breakage. Two of my favorite moisture lines, so far, are Paul Mitchell Daily Moisture and Kevin Murphy Hydrate-Me. Treatments can be received, in salon, for those of us with extra dry hair. 

Curly hair is a beast in its own right. I recommend visiting a stylist to discuss curly-hair options. In honesty, there are several lines which supply the love that your curls need. Specific lines that come to mind are Devacurl, Keratherapy, and Paul Mitchell Curls. Brazilian blowout is a specialty brand which allows for curls to be restructured to become straight. Check with your salon about specialty lines and products. 

Thickening lines are also a fan favorite. In short, these products swell the cuticle which give the feeling of thicker strands. It's best to see which products, if any, your stylist would recommend you use in your hair. I want to warn you not to use too many different products within these lines, because I worry that your cuticle will become damaged. I'm sure salon professionals each have their own opinion about specific lines. So please consult with your professional to discuss options. 

On to the color and blonde lines. Color, color, color! We all love it! Let's face it, changing our color is one of the quickest and easiest ways to change our look without making a permanent change (unless you're going blonde which is permanent). Regardless, both of these services change the chemical composition of your hair. (Please do not use color or bleach from a drugstore. It's a nightmare for you and even worse for your stylist to try to fix. We aren't magicians! Just come see us from the beginning so we can see you safely through the color process. For real!) That topic will be saved for another post, on a different day. BACK TO PRODUCT! Chemically speaking, your hair needs the love and attention that professional color/blonde lines give you. Each are designed to make your color last longer, and in the case of you blondes, there are even purple shampoos to help those tones last. I do want to warn you, the blonde-lines are not all designed for daily use. As in the case of many treatments, they are only meant to be used once a week. (Again, check with your stylist so he/she can assist you in understanding your product best.) Many professional color lines have UV protectors in them, as well as plant extracts which help nourish your chemically treated hair. I have had success with a variety of professional color product lines. I would like to recommend one or two, but there are enough of these lines that I recommend talking with your salon professional about them. 

There is the summary statement shampoos and conditioners. I highly, highly, highly, recommend discussing your routine with your salon professional. There are many opinions and as many product lines for you to choose from. Your hair history is something your professional will know, and they can help you manage your daily routines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get involved in the discussion. Let me know what you think. Ask questions.